The Layoffs Aren't About the Balance Sheet Anymore

 I'm David Bellairian, founder and CEO of Glencore Associates and founder of AIDiscover. I read a lot of layoff announcements this year, partly because I allocate capital for a living and partly because AIDiscover works with companies going through exactly this kind of restructuring. The pattern in 2026 doesn't look like the layoffs I remember from prior downturns, and I think most coverage of it is asking the wrong question.


The scale of it

Tech layoffs topped 245,000 in 2025 and are already running past 180,000 for 2026, on pace to come in higher than last year. Amazon alone cut 16,000 corporate roles in January, on top of 14,000 the previous October. Oracle cut as many as 30,000, roughly a fifth of its workforce, days after reporting strong quarterly earnings. Uber cut 3,300 jobs as part of a restructuring the CEO described as removing management layers, not cutting costs to survive. Cisco cut 4,000. HPE announced 2,500 over eighteen months.

Here's the detail that actually matters: almost none of these companies were losing money. Oracle's cuts came right after a strong earnings report. Amazon's came during a year of record revenue. Reporters have started calling this the first layoff wave in memory that isn't a response to financial distress. It's a response to something else.


What it's actually a response to

Capital reallocation. Oracle's own disclosures point straight at it, the company has described a roughly twenty billion dollar funding gap for AI data center buildout this fiscal year, and analysts estimate the headcount cuts free up somewhere around ten billion dollars. That's not a company trimming costs to stay afloat. That's a company redirecting a specific, enormous amount of payroll into a specific, enormous amount of AI infrastructure, on a timeline that couldn't wait for the roles to shrink through attrition.

You see the same logic across most of the list. The roles disappearing first are customer support, content moderation, QA testing, data entry, and, increasingly, mid-level management layers, exactly the categories where AI tools have gotten good enough to absorb the work. The companies aren't smaller because they're struggling. They're reshaped because the org chart that made sense two years ago doesn't match where the money's actually going now.


The part the efficiency framing leaves out

I don't want to write this up as a clean efficiency story, because it isn't one for the people on the other end of it. These aren't only entry-level roles. Recent rounds have reached deeper into specialized and senior positions than prior cycles did, and retraining doesn't fully offset that when the pace of automation keeps moving faster than the retraining does. A restructuring that's rational at the balance-sheet level is still a hard year for tens of thousands of specific people, and I don't think good analysis requires pretending otherwise.


What I actually watch for

As an investor, the signal I care about isn't the headcount number itself. It's the ratio: how much is the company saving relative to how much it's redeploying into AI infrastructure, and how fast. Oracle's math, roughly ten billion freed against a twenty billion gap, tells you the cuts alone don't close it. That's a company still under real capital pressure even after a historic round of cuts, which is a very different read than the headline suggests.

At Glencore, this shows up less directly, in how I think about the vehicle fleet and the real estate holdings: assets that produce cash without requiring a large payroll to run them are structurally insulated from this exact pressure. At AIDiscover, it shows up in almost every client conversation now. Nobody's asking whether to restructure around AI anymore. They're asking how fast they can do it without breaking the parts of the business that still need a person doing the job.


I'm David Bellairian, founder and CEO of Glencore Associates, a Los Angeles private investment and asset management firm, and founder of AIDiscover, an AI-powered marketing and brand discovery agency. I write about investing, AI implementation, and company building at davidbellairian.substack.com and on Medium.


This is my own read of public data, not investment advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We in the Late Stage of the Big Debt Cycle? What the Fed and Leading Economists Are Actually Saying

David Bellairian on Holding a Law Degree Without Practicing Law